How to Soften Fabric: Ultimate Guide
Putting on clean, soft, and fresh-smelling clothes is a wonderful way to start the day. But clothes can lose their shape and become stiff over time. Well, say goodbye to stiff clothes and say hello to soft clothes for your whole family. The experts at Snuggle® are here to explain how to soften fabric. We’ve also put together some useful tips to soften your clothes and keep that Snuggly Soft® lasting longer.
How Does Fabric Softener Work to Soften Clothing?
The textile industry used the first fabric softeners in the early 20th century to make the dying process less harsh. These first softeners were formulated with tallow, corn, or olive oil to add a lubricating layer to fibers.
Today’s fabric softeners have come a long way. Far more advanced, the fabric conditioners you can find today include sophisticated components that work together to keep clothes feeling soft and smelling fresh. Here are just a few:
- Conditioners: Conditioning agents do two things. They lubricate fabrics to make them feel soft and bind to negatively charged fibers to prevent static cling.
- Emulsifiers: We all know that oil and water do not mix. Emulsifiers are used to get around this problem and ensure that fabric softeners work in your washing machine and reach every fiber in your clothes.
- Fragrances: Clothes should smell as good as they feel. Fabric softeners ensure that they do with fragrances that add a wonderful aroma while they soften and protect your clothes.
Using Fabric Softener to Soften Your Clothes
Snuggle has a wide range of fabric softeners and dryer sheets that have been developed to help make sure that your clothes stay as soft and fresh as the day you bought them. Fabric softeners and dryer sheets can be used in combination with each other for optimal results.
Here are a few Snuggle products to consider using for softening your fabrics:
- SuperCare: Snuggle® SuperCare™ fabric softeners keep clothes looking newer longer. These fabric conditioners protect your families’ clothes with specially formulated technology that prevents wear & tear and color fading. With scents like Lilies and Linen and Sea Breeze and long-lasting freshness, you will be snuggly soft.
- Snuggle® Ultra™: Snuggle® Ultra™ Blue Sparkle® Fabric Softener gives your family's laundry that little extra boost of Snuggly Softness®. With a fresh and clean scent of white floral and green citrus, Our Blue Sparkle® creates a comforting, long-lasting freshness. Snuggle® Ultra™ Sensitive Hypoallergenic Fabric Softener is dermatologist-tested and gentle on sensitive skin types. Your family can enjoy the special touch of Snuggly Softness® with hypoallergenic fresh scents.
- Exhilarations: If your family loves fresh fragrances, the Snuggle Exhilarations line could be just what you are looking for. Go beyond the classic scents and explore aromas like Island Hibiscus & Rainflower, Blue Iris & Ocean Breeze and Lavender & Vanilla Orchid Exhilarations products are available in liquid fabric softener, dryer sheets, and scent booster pacs. Our In-Wash Freshness Booster beads have odor fighting technology and infuse laundry with extraordinary freshness that lasts up to 100 days!**out of storage
- SuperFresh: With its specifically formulated technology, Snuggle® Plus SuperFresh® liquid fabric softeners don’t just mask odors – they work to eliminate them. Replace the bad pet and body odor smells with fresh scents like Spring Burst and Violet Breeze and snuggle up close with your family while enjoying long-lasting freshness.
6 Fabric Softening Tips
Fabric softener must be added to your laundry during the rinse cycle. If you add it with the laundry detergent, it will be washed away along with the dirt. Here are a few more laundry tips for great results:
- Tip 1. Check fabric care labels: Before you toss your clothes into the washer, check the labels to make sure they are machine washable. Pay particular attention to the labels on flame-resistant and performance clothes as they may not be compatible with some laundry products.
- Tip 2. Consider Dosage: Shake the closed Snuggle® bottle, open the bottle and measure to the desired amount. If you are using a fabric softener for the first time, check the back of the bottle for instructions. Remember never to pour fabric conditioner directly onto clothing.
- Tip 3. Front-loader washing machines: If you have a front-loading washing machine, you can pour a liquid fabric softener into the dispenser and your machine will know just when to add it.
- Tip 4. Top-loader washing machines: In top-loaders, the dispenser is typically found in the center column. Measure, pour Snuggle® into the top of the dispenser add, and start your wash!
- Tip 5. Use a softening dryer sheet: Try using a dryer sheet that features fabric softening benefits. Snuggle® Blue Sparkle® dryer sheets are made to freshen, soften, control static, and help reduce wrinkles.
Fabric Softener for Hand-Washing Clothes
If you think fabric softener can only be used in a washing machine, think again. Snuggle’s amazing range of fabric softeners can also be used to keep your delicate clothes soft and fresh. Here is how you soften fabric when you hand wash:
- Hand wash: Drop your delicate items into soapy water and gently swirl them around with your hand. Softly scrub if needed.
- First rinse: Remove your soapy clothes and then drain and refill the sink or tub with cool water. Then swirl your clothes around to remove the soap.
- Dilute fabric softener: Dilute a small amount of fabric softener in a cup or glass of water.
- Second rinse: Drop your clothes into clean water, and then move them to one side so you can add the fabric softener. Then stir your clothes in the water for a few minutes to help the fabric softener do its magic.
- Wring: The last step is removing your clothes from the water and then wringing them gently.